Frame-by-frame is always been a crucial part of the Animation industry. It is one of the most long-running and recognizable forms of Animation. Many famous animated series and movies such as Mickey Mouse, The Little Prince, Pinocchio, Snow White, and Boxtroll, used frame-by-frame Animation techniques. Characters in these series have won the hearts of kids from all over the world. It is one of the most commercially successful techniques.
In this article, we will discuss in detail about frame by frame Animation, its advantage, and disadvantage.
Frame-by-frame Animation can be defined as a method to produce the illusion of movement. It makes incremental changes between every keyframe to create this illusion. As the name implies, Frame-by-frame Animation is shot one frame at a time to form an Animation. This Animation technique is similar to the hand-drawn cel Animation technique where each picture or drawing draw by hand on separate paper sheets.
This technique is contrary to other digital Animation methods, such as rigging in which a model skeleton is created for an animated character that allows its movement. Throughout the 20th century, frame-by-frame Animation was the only technique for creating Animations. However, it is no longer necessary to use animators still love this technique because of two reasons-
- Animation such as stop motion or rotoscope can only be produced frame-by-frame.
- To replicate old the traditional qualities and features of hand-drawn cel Animation.
Frame-by-frame Animation is one of the most meticulous methods. It increases the file size rapidly because the Animator tool has to store each keyframes’ content. This method uses hundreds or thousands of keyframes to form a video Animation. Making videos by this method is really tiresome that is admirable.
The purpose of using the frame-by-frame Animation technique is that it gives very detailed control over the project. However, the main disadvantage of using this technique is that it is very time-consuming because, in this technique, each frame drawing is made on a different sheet of paper. Therefore, animators use interpolation and a combination of frame-by-frame Animation techniques, also known as tweening in Flash lingo.
Advantages Of Frame-By-Frame Animation
There are many advantages of frame-by-frame Animation. Some of them are listed below-
- Control – Frame-by-frame Animation gives animators full control over the Animation. It is created based on creative & artistic skills that offer far greater scope for animators to freely create the Animation. When working with traditional hand-drawn or frame-by-frame Animation techniques, an animator has the freedom to use their animation style to build the project. Hence, creating a unique and creative Animation. Frame-by-frame Animation also helps to implement more accurate movements in the Animation.
- Creativeness – Creative control is one of the best benefits of the frame-by-frame animation technique. It gives life to Animation, such as burning candlesticks. With your creativity, you can change the absolute image into a creative and joyful Animation.
- Tradition – Frame-by-frame Animation has a lot of features and qualities of traditional Animation. As we know frame by frame Animation dominated much most of the 20th century. Frame by frame serves as one of the most recognizable forms of Animations. It offers a wide range of options for its use because traditional Animation depends on a particular animators’ creativity and skills.
- Dreamlike Animation – Although frame-by-frame Animation is no longer required for producing an Animation, many Animation studios still use frame-by-frame Animation techniques to create Animations. Because they give Animation a nostalgic and fantasy-like flavor. Since traditional Animations have strong connotations with magic & fantasy, they are largely used by leading industries such as Disney Studios throughout the 20th, whose every Animation is based on a fantasy-like world.
Disadvantages Of Frame-By-Frame Animation
Frame by frame is famous thought the Animation industry and is still used by many leading Animation studios. However, this technique has its disadvantages that are listed below-
- Expensive – Frame by frame Animation requires many special tools, special equipment, and talented and experienced animator to create Animations. Many equipment and materials such as tracing tools and photographic equipment are used to produce Frame by frame animation. These Tools are so expensive, not every Animation studio can afford them. Therefore, frame-to-frame Animations can cost you a great fortune. Also, you can hire animation video production companies for professional video development.
- Time-Consuming – Frame-by-frame Animation is not just expensive but also time-consuming because you have to produce each frame one by one in this technique. In the case of traditional Animations, which requires highly detailed drawing work having mistakes can lead you to re-produce and re-shot the entire project.
I hope this article gives a basic idea about what frame-to-frame Animation is. If you have any further queries regarding this topic, you can ask me in the Comment section below.