What is VPS hosting? VPS or virtual private server hosting is among the most in-demand hosting services you could use for your site. VPS hosting makes use of virtualization technology to give you private or dedicated resources on a server that has multiple users.
VPS hosting is a more stable and secure solution compared to shared hosting that don’t give you dedicated server space. VPS hosting is also cheaper and smaller scale unlike renting a whole server.
VPS hosting is often the preferred choice of website owners who have medium-level traffic that goes beyond the limits of the shared hosting plans but don’t need a dedicated server’s resources just yet. VPS solutions often offer more than a single hosting plan.
How VPS Hosting Works
A server is the computer where the web host keeps all the databases and files required for your site. Every time an online visitor wants access to your site, the browser will send a request to the server and transfer the essential files online. VPS hosting gives you a virtual server that mimics a physical server when in reality, several users are sharing the machine.
With the use of virtualization technology, your provider will install a virtual layer on top of the server’s operating system or OS. The layer will divide the server into several partitions and allow all the users to install their own software and operating system.
This means that a VPS is private and virtual at the same time since you will be in full control of it. This is separated from the rest of the users of the server on the operating system level. VPS technology is in fact the same with using partitions on your computer if you prefer to run several operating systems with no need for a reboot.
When you run a VPS, it gives you the chance to create your website in a secure container that has guaranteed resources including CPU cores, disk space, memory, and more with no need to share with the rest of the users. VPS hosting gives you a similar root-level access like that of renting a dedicated server yet on a more affordable cost.
Perks of VPS Hosting
VPS hosting is a great hosting solution if this is the kind of service you need. Here are some of the top benefits of VPS hosting:
- VPS hosting is faster and also more reliable compared to shared web hosting.
- Traffic surges and issues of the rest of the users of the server will not have any effect on your site.
- Since the resources of the server are guarantee such as processing power and memory, there is minimal to zero fluctuation in the available resources.
- You can get superuser access to the server.
- This service is easy to scale. Together with the growth of your site, you can just upgrade the server resources as needed.
- You can enjoy better privacy because your databases and files remain locked from your fellow server users.